ABOUT US >> AND A SECTION IS BORN
New Haven Section in the State of Connecticut - Jan 24, 1912
And a Section is born
Previous to the year 1908, when the American Chemical Society held its spring meeting in New Haven, the advisability of forming a local section had been discussed, and after that meeting the discussion became more serious. However, several years passed without definite action toward organization. This hesitation may have been due, in a measure, to the feeling on the part of some individuals that our local Chemical Club served all necessary purposes.
In the fall of 1911, the writer of this article, returning from his summer vacation, stopped off at Durham, N. H., to call on his friends, C. L. Parsons and C. James, who were then connected with the New Hampshire College. During this short visit the growth of the American Chemical Society was discussed, and Doctor Parsons stated in no uncertain terms his feeling as to the duty of the New Haven chemists. As the result of this conversation, conferences were held shortly, afterward with H. W. Foote, of the Sheffield Scientific School, and with John P. Street, of the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, and the self-appointed committee of three sent to all chemists in the city and its vicinity a card asking them to meet on the evening of January 24, 1912, at the Sheffield Chemical Laboratory, to organize a New Haven Section of the American Chemical Society.
New Haven Section Founding Fathers
William H. Buell
Prof. Philip E. Browning
Prof. LaFayette B. Mendel
John P. Street
Prof. HW. Foote
Prof. Treat B. Johnson
Dr. BW. McFarland
Sterling Chemistry Laboratory of Yale University was also dedicated